Zucchini Flower Recipe
Sun, Jul 29 2012 08:45
from the Slow Food Chefs collection
|1||cup all-purpose flour|
|~||Pinch of salt|
|⅓||cup dry white wine|
|2||Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|⅔||cup warm water|
|6||anchovies, packed in salt (see Note)|
|4||oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into sticks|
|~||Olive or vegetable oil for deep-frying|
- Place the flour and the pinch of salt in a small bowl. Add the egg yolk, white wine, olive oil, and warm water, and stir with a whisk to blend well. Cover with plastic wrap and let the batter rest one hour.
- Beat the egg white in a clean bowl until soft mounds form. Fold it into the batter.
- Soak the anchovies in water for 10 minutes, then rinse and fillet them.
- Remove the stamen carefully from each zucchini flower and discard. Place a stick of mozzarella and half an anchovy fillet inside each flower.
- Pour the oil to a depth of 1 inch in a deep sauté pan and heat to 360 degrees.
- Carefully dip the flowers in the batter, then fry them in the hot oil until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.